Sunday, October 12, 2008

Chalhouf

Chalhouf: pronounced "hal(slightly glottal)-hoof" is our name for a quesadilla. I forgot exactly how it started, but early on in university, there was a discussion about words and how they were made. I have a short history of making up random words and speaking in strange grammars in high school and university as I have always found it interesting that words and grammar are so ingrained in our perception of reality even when they are just arbitrary sound. So I came up with a random word - chalhouf for quesadillas. From then on, Ben and I have always called quesadillas chalhoufs. This word had never been written before, and this is the first time I am trying to spell this word after a short consultation with Ben, so please excuse the possible misspelling.

No comments: